Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Battery replaced

Battery D has been completely replaced now.  I ended up spending $49.77 for the replacement.  The warranty is 24-months, but the warranty is really just a pro-rating.  I will have to add that cost to my spreadsheet.

The battery pack held 24 volts overnight.  This morning, I ran the electric heater for a bit, which took it down to 23 volts.  I was expecting it to recharge that almost completely during the day while I slept.  It did not.  The reason is rather simple though -- the panel was covered in snow. 

I also managed to clean out the front and back of the van today.  I never let it get very messy, but there was some stuff strewn about under the bed and in one of the baskets.  Some bread I've been meaning to throw out for several months, things like that.  Since it's nice and cold, nothing was creating a stink, just going bad.

I also finished off another propane tank today.  I have been using the heater a lot more this winter than last.  I usually like to get it up to 50F before turning it off.  That takes about 30 minutes from 25F.  However, I realized that I could avoid that by purchasing a heated blanket.  Last winter, I didn't really have the power (except via generator) to run an electric blanket, but this year I can just plug one in and sleep under it.  It would also be nice just to heat up the sleeping bag before I crawl in.  So that's on my list for this weekend.

4 comments:

  1. Hi dear Camper!
    I hope that you aren't facing power problems again.How about your electric blanket, did you get it eventually? Tell us more about what has occured lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I like your blog. I would advise against using the solar electric system for heating or cooling. Those tasks are too energy consuming and you will be chasing it with more and more panels and batteries and never satisfied. I'm not a van dweller so I don't have personal experience, but it seems like you could do a lot with passive efforts like parking in the sun or shade as necessary. Use a propane powered heater if necessary. If you could run an extension cord from your employer that would be ideal.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!!!! I'm on the way to the same lifestyle, just bought the van ans will be refitting to my needs and tastes over the next couple months. Noticed you're located in/near DC. I'm in NoVa. We should get in touch. Jesse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesse,

      Yes I am in NoVA as well. For obvious reasons, I keep my posts anonymous as much as possible - mostly so people don't show up at my employer looking for me. But if you want to drop some contact info on here, I'll drop you a line and see if our schedules match up. Cheers!

      Delete