Monday, August 17, 2009

8/17/2009 Day 1

Apparently I chose the hottest day of the year to test this out. I woke up around 9AM with it being stinking hot. I don't have a thermometer in here, so I don't really know just how hot it was. But, I later learned that today hit triple digits. Also, it was very humid.

After I woke up, I must confess I got a bit nervous about firing up the generator in the work parking lot. I had chose the side of the building that almost never gets used, but there were some cars near me and people would occasionally walk by. What would they think seeing me hop out and fire up my generator? Would anyone raise a ruckus?

There was one person in particular that kept walking back and forth in front of my van. I suspected that she was on a lunch break and chose to spend it in the rear parking lot. I ended up waiting until she had gone past the driver's side of the van. Then I hopped out, fired up the generator, and jumped right back in.

The air conditioner worked great for cooling the van down. Within minutes, things were much more tolerable inside, cool even. However, I couldn't get back to sleep. I could lay there with my eyes closed, but every time I came close to drifting off, I would hear a noise and be instantly alert. I was certain that someone from work (perhaps a security guard) would come walking up to the van to inquire about my running generator. Nothing happened, but I lost a lot of sleep over it. At the least, I felt rested.

Around 1pm, I noticed the air conditioner was making lots of "water noises". Shortly after that, it started getting warmer in the room. The air conditioner wasn't blowing as cool of air as it had been. At this point, I decided enough was enough and prepared to hit the gym.

Later, I worked out that the air conditioner had filled up with water. It's designed to turn collected water into water vapor and send it out the vent. My guess is that on really humid days like today, it had nowhere to send the water vapor, so it collects. I will have to run a drain hose from the air conditioner to a point outside my van. Hopefully I can do this without putting another hole in the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment