Wednesday, August 26, 2009

8/26/2009 Day 4

Each day, I seem to edge out a little bit further before turning the generator on. I woke up at 10:40AM today. Actually, I half-woke up earlier, and scooted towards the cooler side of the van. The sun comes up and hits the driver's side, and any slats of sun peaking through warm up that side of the bed. But it is relatively cooler just two more feet to the right (North). I suspect that when I get the curtains in blocking even more light, the inside will stay cooler longer.

Had to drain the air conditioner again today around 1PM. Putting a physical drain is becoming an even higher priority, one I hope to accomplish this weekend. I also hope to remove the other seat in the van and replace it with a makeshift table/shelf (actually an old wooden packing crate I have). I came up with some ideas today on putting in a sink, all of which is dependent on the table going in. With a proper table and “sink”, it's not too far of a jump to form a small “galley” for cooking rudimentary meals and perform basic washing.

Around 3PM I took off for lunch and when I came back, I fired up the generator -- no issue. But the air conditioner wouldn't start. Power was getting to the plug.. other things I plugged in worked. Over the next few minutes, I tried multiple things to get the A/C working with now luck. The temperature started ratcheting up and I hurried to open windows. But ultimately I was becoming drenched in sweat inside that vehicle as the air conditioner failed to start. Finally, I turned off the generator, played with the circuit breaker, and started back up. This time the A/C worked. The only thing I could find in the generator was that if you attempted to start the A/C within 3 minutes after a power failure, it may refuse to start the compressor to prevent overloading it.

Based on today's failure, I may consider getting a Vornado circulator to use as a backup to the air conditioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment