Monday, September 14, 2009

9/13/09 Day 7

This is also my first day camping at work as a married man. I got married last week and have been on my “domestic honeymoon”. All last week was really cool, overcast days, most of them below 70. On Sunday, it got up to 75 and this week looks like a warm one. I really need to get a thermometer for the car.

On the way down yesterday, I heard a noise from the rear of the van and pulled over quickly. The one side of the luggage rack had snapped off. The metal pieces and the white tire cover had flown off. The strap was still there. I was eventually able to track down where everything had landed and recover it. The wheel rode with me on the way down. Today, I was able to bolt it onto its original holder without interfering with the generator.

I made my way up to the nearby hotel and got on their wifi without incident. One of my customers called me saying that their website was slow, so I wanted to check it out. While I was there, a hotel employee walked by and looked strangely at the van, but did not say anything. However, I may want to limit my use of their parking lot. Perhaps I could get my flat panel and point it at the hotel from work.

Bad news today. The air conditioner is not starting up. It had done this once before, but after letting it sit a bit, unplugging and plugging back in, it started back up. This time, I did just about everything.. unplugging, resetting the gfci, draining it, and playing with the generator. I am getting power to the plug. There is a chance the GFCI plug on the A/C is bad. It has some hot glue on the connectors. Tomorrow I will try replacing the plug end itself with a plain 3-prong plug. I also plan to make an emergency acquisition of a high-speed fan. I think that on most days, running a fan and some open windows could be enough to keep me comfortable for most of the day.

Filled up the generator today: 3 gallons @ $2.489/gallon for $7.49. I need to get a log book that I can utilize outside of this blog. I do want to keep a detailed total of how much this arrangement is costing me, both in summer and winter. It gets a bit tricky with gas as I do use the van for domestic use from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment